Incoming & Outgoing Tour Operator
ON THE ROAD OF SAINTS 3 days
Day 1 - Departure from Roma to Cascia, guided tour and lunch in a local restaurant. The absolute star of Cascia is the the majestic basilica of S.Rita, a riot of marble and frescoes erected in 1937-47 (housing the remains of the Saint) and the nearby Augustinian monastery where she retired in seclusion unitl her death. Afternoon drive to Norcia, short free time to visit, typical dinner in a local restaurant and overnight in Norcia.
Day 2 - Departure to Assisi, guided tour, lunch in a local restaurant. It is amazing that such a small place contains so many treasures of art and religion in an atmosphere of absolute peace of mind. It is the case of Assisi, a very old town founded by the Umbrians and then part of the Roman territories, which now retains its medieval appearance. The whitness of its historical buildings built with local pink and white stone from Mount Subasio fits perfectly with the most intimate and religious aspect of the town. The main attractions of Assisi are the numerous sites related to the life of St. Francis of Assisi and St. Clare, the founder in Assisi of the Poor Clares Order. The historical layers of the city are still visible in the remains of the Roman Forum and Minerva Temple, which is perfectly preserved in its classical architecture. Crossing the entire old town, we will see in particular:
- Basilica of St.Clare. It hosts the crucifix that spoke to St. Francis and the crypt (possible to visit) houses the remains of St. Clare of Assisi.
- New Church. Built on the site of St. Francis's family home. it contain the prison-room where Francis was locked up by his father.
- City hall Square. At the ancient Roman Forum, it is surronded by medieval buildings such as the Palazzo dei Priori and Capitano del Popolo.
- Temple of Minerva
- Walk along Via San Francesco.
- Basilica of St.Francis. Completely decorated with frescoes by the most important masters of art of the thirteenth century. The crypt contains the tomb of St. Francis. Afternoon free, then continue to Gubbio.
Day 3 - guided tour of Gubbio, lunch in a local restaurant. A splendid medieval city, one of the best preserved in Italy, Gubbio is rich in monuments and history: the city offers visitors unforgettable glimpses in the intricate network of its narrow streets. IN the center of the city stands the majestic Palazzo dei Consoli, spectacular civil architecture of the Middle Ages. Inside are preserved, among other objects of historical and artistic interest, the famous Tables of gubbio, seven bronze slabs dating to the third century BC, on which the ancient Umbrian people left one of the most important epigraphic evidences of AncientTtime. The tour continues in Piazza Grande the Lodges and the Church of Saint Francis. On 15 may every year, the most popular folk event in Umbria is held in gubbio: the Corsa dei Ceri, celebrated in honor of St.Ubaldo. Afternoon drive back to Roma.
Request a quote for this tour: firstname.lastname@example.org